Friday, January 8, 2010

IGF Feedback

Lylian didn't make it to the finals of the IGF competition. Seems there were a few bugs that I missed, and a prominent gameplay issue. But it was a good experience in any case, and they provided me with the judges feedback:

"The theming and storyline makes up for a very interesting game. I got lots of the same feelings as when playing the big money horror games, with a nice twist of humor that worked as a nice counterpoint to the morbid theme."

"The aura indicator should be taught to the players a bit better, I was pretty confused about how it worked initially."

"The pace of the game was just right for me."

"The character animation got stuck on my Win 7 machine occasionally, forcing me to quit the game."
---

"Although the problem may be simply that the game was too hard...Important lesson on the importance of easy difficulty at game start."

"Also, I would prefer moving with arrow keys..."
---

"- Great character design
- I do love the idea of swinging straitjacket arms as weapon. Pretty sure that hasn't been done before
- If American McGee's Alice were a sidescroller? (That's a good thing)
- Not enough depth in combat for me -- leaves me cold
- Needs copyedit
- Really impressed by the animation"
---

"I liked the moody atmosphere and thought at first that there would be equally quirky mechanics. When it became clear that it was just a basic slap and run right mechanic, I was disappointed. The way the story was told interested me, though, and the imagination mechanic that is introduced at the very end had promise."
--- ---

Lessons learned here is I've got to make the game a lot easier at the start, which is easy to do.
There's a few bugs that escaped me, I'll need to test on more machines.
The combat mechanic issues are understandable, as I've already planned a few things for that.

So I'm quite happy with this feedback. They're things that in the grand scheme of it all; are quite minor!

1 comment:

Carl said...

I think this is great man - this type of feedback is pretty priceless. Congrats for submitting and getting some well-deserved praise.